Sunday, October 12, 2008

Purging my thoughts on Marriage

For those of you living outside of California we are still fighting to get Proposition 8 passed. We want marriage to be defined as between a man and a woman. I am terrified of what our world is coming to. What is happening to my freedom to believe as I choose and to be able to teach my children those values without fear. As I listen to a living Prophet and his Apostle's tell us that we need to do everything we can to preserve the sanctity of marriage. I am overcome by the power and force of what I feel. I feel that if we do not win here the rest of the nation will follow and my children will grow up in a different world then I know now. Did you know that if same sex marriage is legalized it will be taught to our children in school under the guise of "Diversity" just as it is in Massachusetts? Did you know that Church's could be penalized for teaching that only marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God (where does my right to teach and believe as I choose go then)? Or that we could lose our tax exempt status because we will not allow same sex marriages to be preformed in our buildings. I hope and pray that we will have enough voter support to stop this once and for all in California (also Florida and Arizona currently have it on their ballots as well). Pray for us and pray that peoples hearts will be softened and that they will realize what is going on here.
On a personal note, just because I do not believe in same sex marriage does not mean I do not love and cherish those within my own family who live this lifestyle. On the contrary I love them dearly and although I do not condone their lifestyle they are indeed children of God who are loved by him despite the lifestyle they choose to live. Let them live as they choose, and let me live as I choose. A Vote against traditional marriage only gives them the title of Marriage as opposed to Legal Union. The rights that will be lost our mine and that I simply cannot stand for. Let God be your guide and get out and vote next month and lets make our voices heard.

5 comments:

Bree said...

It really is a sad thing that is going on. I hope that enough people vote against it because I really don't want my children growing up in that kind of world. It really makes me so thankful for the teachings of the Gospel. We are very blessed to have the knowledge that we do and the understanding of who we are.

Unknown said...

Stacie, I just wanted to say I agree, and thank you for posting this! I miss you and your family. Hope all is well. Contact me if you can!

Tawnya (Royer) Brimhall :)

Lori said...

I think it is scary that this subject keeps coming up in so many states! I think it is sad that people are so selfish, and they believe 2 women or 2 men "are family" what happens to real families and the values we are trying to teach. This is a subject that is very frustrating to me. I am greateful for the knowledge that I have of the gospel. And the wonderful blessing of family and children, and being together forever is a very peaceful feeling.

Rachel Doyle said...

I agree with you 100 percent - it is a scary day and age that we live in - but these are signs of the times that have been prophesied about.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post Stacie. I didn't know all that other stuff could happen too.