Friday, August 29, 2008

Making bread


I am ever amazed at how much fun children can have doing things that we consider work. This week in church we were challenged to live off of our food storage for the week and then next Sunday we would discuss it in our combined 5th Sunday meeting. Since Steve and I have been working on our food storage ever since we got married we were up to the challenge and have been incorporating beans, rice, dehydrated carrots and celery and the like into our daily meals. Because lets face it most of us have enough in our pantry's to survive for a week without changing our diets much. The one thing I did put off was bread, we had 2 full loafs of bread when the week started. However incorporating all of the above meant several nights of soup which of course you have to have bread and butter with. Well today I took the bull by the horns and made bread. My girls LOVED it, especially the kneading part. They were amazed by how much bigger the bread got as it rose and when I was shaping the loaves I gave them each a piece of dough to work with, they made the rolls when we were done. I am so glad we have children to help keep our lives fun and to remind us to look for the good in things and to enjoy the journey we are on. As for the food storage challenge I am glad we are prepared but I think I want to add some fun things to our storage as well, you know chocolate chips and nuts for cookies :) Some things I am grateful to have added to our storage are: Extra tortillas, shredded cheese, butter, and meats that we keep in the freezer. Things I will miss if we ever have to really live off of our storage.... Ice cream and fresh fruits and veggies.
These other pictures of the girls I took after the fact because I didn't think about posting until later, and lets face it who wants to get out the camera when you are covered in bread dough!

6 comments:

Catherine said...

We have got to be sisters! Ice-cream and fresh fruits and veggies are a staple in our home. :) I would really miss those things, too. Wade thinks I'm crazy to snack on celery. But I love that stuff...not as much as I love ice-cream, but hey, who does? I'm making bread tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

I'm impressed!! I always drive by your house and if the garage is open I see all the food storage nicely organized!! Good for you guys. I don't think I have EVER made homemade bread before. THat's pretty sad hu!! Looks like fun, I could only imagine the mess afterwards, my kids would have had the dough and flour EVERYWHERE!!

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

btw, I have made banana and pumpkin bread, but not Real bread with Yeast lol!!

Anonymous said...

You're such a great mom! Your girls will grow up knowing so much about life. A lot of the kids I teach don't have a clue that bread actually has to be made. They think it grows somewhere. haha

Bree said...

That looks so good! Maybe I will make some bread now. How do you get the rolls to stay shut like that. Mine always open up and look like a circle when they are done.

Megan and Nick said...

Wow, Good for you Stace! I want to try living off food storage for a few days, I don't know if we could make it a week. I'm not that a great of a cook yet, and using limited resorces might turn out to be a disaster; however there's no better time than the present to learn right. Your girls are always so cute!!