Saturday, June 28, 2008

A trip to the dentist

Just about a month ago I went to the dentist for my semi annual check up and cleaning. I had been experiencing some sensitivity in one of my lower back teeth and mentioned this to the dentist. After he got the x rays back he said that the roots looked fine and that there were no cavities. He then did an oral exam and could see no problems so he took the cold water and sprayed it on the tooth OUCH to say the least I flinched from the pain. He could see that something was definitely wrong and said I needed to take some anti inflammatory for a week and come back, he was going to have to take out the existing filling to see what was going on. I came back a week later and he TRIED to numb me but after 3 full tubes of the medicine I couldn't feel anything in my tongue, lips, or cheeks but the tooth itself was very alive and well and just the slightest bit of air or water on it and I could feel intense pain. He sent me home again with another prescription for the anti inflammatory and an antibiotic for the infection in my tooth. Jump ahead to today when I go into the dentist and find out I have to have a root canal and they are doing it now. So they send me into the insurance office because there is going to be some out of pocket expenses that the insurance does not cover. My heart sinks as I wonder just how bad it is going to be. They start by telling me how much today's services are going to cost. Over $1700 dollars I wince and then wait for the bad news. She says the insurance will cover everything but 110 dollars of the Crown they will have to put on. They then said I could make payments. I am so grateful for insurance Steve has a great job with great benefits I cant imaging if i had been given this news and had to figure out how to come up with the full amount. I felt so blessed at that moment.

I then went back and got numbed again and they started digging out my tooth only to find that the nerve was being irritated because my tooth had cracked in 2 places. The dentist had a hard time with the root canal and a little over 5 hours later I left the dentist with a temp crown in place and a very very sore mouth and jaw. I thought it was kinda of interesting how quickly they offered to give me a prescription for the pain. I told them I already had some Motrin 600 from my c section and they asked if I would like 800 or vicaden. Holy cow are you kidding me if I can deal with the pain of having my stomach cut open with the 600 why in the world would i need something stronger for a little mouth pain. No wonder people get addicted so quickly to pain meds when they are so easy to get.

Any way we are looking forward to our trip to St George next week and can't wait to spend some much needed time with our families. Love you all.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

That's great news that the insurance will cover most of the costs. Root canals are NOT fun...I can relate! When you used the words "intense pain," I was thinking, "yep, that's right, intense!" Best of luck with the recovery!

I wish we could go to St. George and see you guys when you're in town! Will you be coming to the reunion in Idaho?

Sara :) said...

I had the same type of experience and ended up having a root canal about 2 years ago. I am a baby when it comes to teeth pain. Seriously, I would rather have a baby then go to the dentist. Hey you need to come visit me when your down here. I haven't seen you in years.

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

5 hours.....are you kidding me?? I would die. I had one and it took about 1 1/2 hours and I HATED every minute. But yah, gotta love insurance. Have fun in st. george, save some money for gas, we just went to san francisco and probably spent around 500$ Just for GAS!!!!

THE TOKI TRIBE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

O my word you poor thing! I can't belive your poor mouth! How long does something like that take to heal!? I am so glad the insurance covered all but $110.00 benefits are wonderful! We can't wait to see you all!!!!

Rachel Doyle said...

I am so sorry to hear that -- I hate going to the dentist and root canals are no fun. Hope you feel better.

THE ORVINS said...

ewww i hate the dentist which would probably explain why i havent been in such a long time... 5 hours is forever, longer than most surgeries. well im glad you came out of it just fine and wish i was going to be there this week to see you.

Susan said...

Not fun! Sorry you had to endure that ordeal! Hope the follow up goes well.