Monday, June 16, 2008

Camping and Movie Night







So in an effort to keep costs down for family activities we incorporated an idea from some friends of ours and Steve brought home his projector from school for the weekend so we could enjoy a fun outdoor movie in our back yard. He set the projector up on the kids picnic table and we used the back of the house for our screen. I popped popcorn and made some cookies and lemonade as well as grapes for the snacks and we invited the next door neighbors over. Last year I bought these little plastic popcorn holders that look like the old popcorn bags and so we pulled those out to serve the kids. I know we had more fun then when we actually go and see a movie in the theater and we built far more memories this way :) We also set up our tent for the first time ever. We bought it at the end of last summer when it was on clearance ( thank goodness we bought it then because we have outgrown our little 4 man tent and with tight finances we would not have had a tent this year). The kids had a ball checking it out and setting up. At about 8 15 we sat down to watch Nanny McPhee, it was so fun to be out in the fresh night air and enjoy each other. Amanda fell asleep in the middle of the movie and Lizzy conked out a little earlier than that. After the movie we laid on the blankets with the lights off and looked at the stars we found the big dipper but couldn't seem to locate the little dipper, guess I will have to brush up on my astronomy :) After that our friends went home and we moved everyone to the tent where we talked for a few more minutes before going to bed. We had so much fun and will definitely do it again! The best part was that it only cost us nothing because we used things that we had around the house!

P.S. if anyone wants to come down and try it with us we would welcome it :)

8 comments:

Smeltz Family said...

What a cute idea. I am trying to come up with free things to do. Unfortunately I don't have a back yard.

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

HOw fun! I'm with you on trying to do some inexpensive family ideas! I bet the girls had a blast! but, by the look of Steve's face, he looked Really interested in the movie!!!

Catherine said...

You and Steve are the two most fun people I know so of course you always have fun as a family! I love that idea, and I gotta comment on those sexy pink pj's of yours, Stacie! :)

McKensi said...

How fun! I love that you made treats and all for them! You sure are making it a fun childhood for them.

Unknown said...

Too fun! I wish I had a BACKYARD so I could try something like this :)

Bree said...

That is such a great idea. If only we all had a projector to bring home from work! It looks like so much fun and such a great memory and tradition builder! Love it.

Rachel Doyle said...

This looks so fun -- good idea!!!

ma'elePHOTO said...

I love this idea!!!!