Monday, January 28, 2008

A new twist on an old favorite

So I came across a recipe that builds on dad's macaroni and tomato's. We call it chili mac and it is delicious

I cup elbow macaroni ( I use Barilla plus because it is multigrain and it tastes the same)
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey breast
1/2 med onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 15-16 oz kidney beans ( we use pinto and black as well depending on what I
have in the cupboard)
1 large can tomatoes chopped and drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded cheese. ( you can use 2% cheese that is less fat and it is still
wonderful)

Cook pasta according to package directions
while past cooks, heat a LARGE skillet (or cut it in half and it might fit in a normal skillet) cook meat and next 5 ingredients and cook until meat is fully cooked.
add the beans and pasta and tomato sauce and cook until completely heated. add the cheese just before you serve for a fun and healthy dinner.

I tried this the other day and it reminded me so much of dads macaroni and tomato that I thought you would all enjoy this version as well. Let me know what you think

1 comments:

THE ORVINS said...

ooooooh yeah i love new recipes, and this one sounds super yummy... ill try it this week and let you know :) and the pasta is super easy to make, after my first time i know exactly what not to do next time to make it even easier, so if you get the attachment call me and ill tell you about the tricks